NOVA Métis Heritage Association-Rules of Acceptance
Attention MNBC Card & BC Metis Federation Card Holders: We still need your proof of Metis roots in order to have a complete detailed file on all aspects of your Metis identity.
Proof of Métis Ancestry documents such as Scrip documents from Red River Settlement (Manitoba) 1870’s and later, or links to Métis ancestors from the Traditional Métis Nation Homeland(includes mainly the prairie provinces, parts of Ontario & BC.)and below the 49th, in the USA border states as well, church records, birth/death certificate or documents to show your Métis links to your Metis ancestors.
Métis Applicants: Rules to qualify for NMHA Membership
In order for us to process your membership application and issue a Métis
membership ID card, the following information is required:
1) Membership application form must be filled out completely.
2) $30.00 processing fee for each adult age 18 or older.
3) only $15.00 fee for Children or Youth under 18 years.
4) Non-Métis spouses may also apply for an associate membership but
cannot vote or hold office in the association.For Card replacement the fee is- $10.00 – Send cheque and new picture.
5) Sign your name/signature to application and witnessed if you can.
6) Provide two or three pieces of ID for your identification. Drivers license, Medicare card, birth certificate, passport or union card.
7) Two small photos to be supplied (1×1 or 35 mm Square size).
8) BC residency of three (3) months minimum is a requirement.
9) Genealogy books are available at the NOVA office and the Cloverdale
branch of the Surrey public library. We need to affirm your Metis roots.
10) The onus for proof of Métis ancestry is on the applicant to verify
your Metis genealogy if you supply us with names and dates of your great
and grandparents. This also means the maiden names of the women’s side
of your ancestry. These dates and maiden names are likely needed to
research your ancestor’s Metis origin.
Note: we’re unable to process incomplete applications. Notify us
if you move so that we can keep our files current & make sure you
are updated of any new Métis funding opportunities.
Example Certificate of Membership: